Saturday, January 29, 2011

Scarred for Life






I saw her coming towards me
In the darkness of the night 
It seemed she had been robbed off her glee
was there anyone who could set her free
was there anyone who could hear her plight


She came near her clothes were tattered
Eyes that said a thousand things
Longing to mend dreams that were shattered
Her bruises showed how she had been battered
She wanted to fly but they had butchered her wings


Slowly she spread out her tiny palms
the biting cold made her shiver
with a hope of earning some alms
people smirked at her but she had no qualms
I  saw her dropping a silent tear


She had a face which i will never forget
 marked by scars of a heinous crime
It made me wonder if they ever regret
People saw her and walked away giving her a dime
As i stood still gazing at her disappearing silhouette.


P.S. This poem is about a girl i once saw begging at the bus stop.
I was taken aback when i saw her.I asked my friend why is her face like that?He said "Don't you know there are people who throw acid at their faces and make them beg."
The deeper the burns better it is for them as people tend to give them  more alms.It left me dumbstruck.Yes,it does happen in real life.


3 comments:

  1. Brute imagery, your verse just got a power-up. The first two and the last lines frame the portrait very well!
    love the way you've started breaking away from rhyme...on the aside, I don't know what to say about the girl in the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah..........sadly :(, it happens.

    ReplyDelete